Looking for the birth control choice that is right for you? Here are five different options to choose from.
1. The Pill - The pill is an oral contraceptive that must be taken daily in order to prevent pregnancy. When taken correctly, the pill is 99 percent effective. The pill ranges from about $15-50 per month.
2. Nuva Ring- Using the hormones found in birth control pills, the Nuva Ring is 99 percent effective in preventing pregnancy. After inserting the ring, the hormones will be released in low dosages over a course of three weeks. On the third week, you remove the ring to receive your menstrual period during the fourth week. Following this one week break, make you insert a new ring and begin the cycle over again.
3. Depo Provera- This form of birth control is an injection of the hormones that will prevent pregnancy for approximately three months. The shot can typically range anywhere from $35-75. Weight gain, irregular bleeding, and hair loss are just a few common side effects of this shot.
4. Mirena- This form of birth control is an IUD inserted into your cervix for as long as five years if chosen. Mirena must be inserted and removed by your doctor and works just as most birth control. Because it is can be used as a long term method of birth control, it is most popular by those not trying to conceive any time in the near future.
5. Implanon- Implanon is a small rod that is inserted into your arm. The rod will prevent pregnancy for up to three years. The cost for this is approximately $400-800 and must be inserted by a health care professional.
**Important Note: These options will protect you from pregnancy, but not from STDs.